While macOS Catalina 10.15 released with its perfect significant features. This time in the era of operating system macOS Catalina brought plenty of new features functions to get excited. Although with the software updates, we don’t expect that we should face any sort of issue. But again after installation, there will be the number of errors that get us puzzled how to fix that. As you know that Apple is a professionally supporting hardware range. However, in any circumstances, we are encountered and facing errors on hardware/software during the installation of macOS Catalina, ways to fix macOS Catalina 10.15 common issues.
How to Fix macOS Catalina 10.15 common issues
But I got important to guide you in this post how to fix macOS Catalina 10.15 common issues. However, macOS Catalina common issues are included this few days is macOS Catalina download problems, Gateway timed out while downloading macOS Catalina, macOS Catalina 10.15 install problems, macOS Catalina stuck on setting up your Mac, macOS Catalina login problems, macOS Catalina email problems, macOS Catalina breaks search in Mail, macOS Catalina running slowly on Mac, macOS Catalina Battery issues, macOS Catalina mouse issue, macOS Catalina MacBook Keyboard problems, macOS Catalina Bluetooth issue, macOS Catalina Boot problems, macOS Catalina finders problem, Apps problem in macOS Catalina, macOS Catalina Sidebar problems, macOS Catalina WiFi problems.
- It gets restarted (with the message that comes in many languages saying: 'you computer was restarted because of a problem') constantly after I upgraded to Catalina, I erased my mac and reinstalled the latest Catalina version but everything is as before!
- SOLVED Boot Loop: Your computer restarted because of a problem. Been watching this community for a while and just last week built my first machine from the buyer's guide. However, I keep running into the computer randomly freezing and shutting down and then when it reboots, or if I have to manually reboot it, it gets stuck in a boot loop.
- Press and hold the power button on your Mac for up to 10 seconds, until your Mac turns off and then turn your Mac back on. Your Mac should start up normally. If that does not solve, please see this article. Stuck on Screen Time set up. Press the power or Touch ID button for up to 10 seconds until your Mac powers off and then restart your Mac.
Part 2 - 6 Ways to Fix 'Your Mac Computer Restarted Because of a Problem' The steps listed below will help you identify and solve hardware and software issues that cause Kernel Panic in Mac. Solution 1 – Identify and update malfunctioning software. Outdated software is prone to creating errors such as Kernel Panic. Updating it will solve the. Your Computer was Restarted Because of a Problem: How to Fix Kernel Panic on Mac Last updated on January 2, 2021 By Stacey Butler Leave a Comment Occasionally, your Mac may restart or shutdown unexpectedly.
However, that is the issue nowadays macOS Catalina users are facing. While getting the first trip to macOS Catalina is existing to install it. And while upgrading to macOS Catalina is somehow straightforward. In case, you will find the macOS Catalina update through the App Store, but some of you will face issues while downloading macOS Catalina update. Since macOS Catalina is new on the list then you are trying to download it. Also, you are attempting to update directly from macOS Mojave, indeed it required a fair internet connection.
How to Fix macOS Catalina 10.15 Common issues
However, it can happen while installation macOS Catalina you face this the error that installation cannot continue. It means that the storage is less, and the macOS Catalina file is 6GB in that case, you must have at least 20GB up to 25GB to complete the installation. While installation you face this error directly navigate the Apple menu on the left corner of your screen. And click on About this Mac than Storage, after that, you have to manage some storage to continue macOS Catalina installation. Therefore, while installation, if you faced like the macOS Catalina 10.15 file, corrupted. In that case, navigate the finder menu and search for macOS Catalina 10.15 file and delete that file. After that, restart your PC then coming back try re-download the required files from Mac App Store. This is the most beginning common issue while installing macOS Catalina on your computer.
When the macOS Catalina 10.15 released in the public beta version, then most of the developers were installing on their computer using Virtual machine devices. After installing testing macOS Catalina on Virtualization boxes most of you may handle some issues that facing that in full version. According to developers, Virtualization is one of the advanced sources that you can install the beta version. Like we are having VirtualBox, VMware, Hyper-V, and Android version Android Studio. In plans, I will re-write the common issues on macOS Catalina on VMware, and VirtualBox.
Fix macOS Catalina Download Problems
This is the common issue that macOS Catalina download is failed. And most of you might face this problem while downloading macOS Catalina 10.15 an error appear that download has failed. This common error can be due to a network error connection, and another issue while downloading is the Installation of macOS Catalina could not continue installation required to downloading important content. And the content can’t download this time try again. However, in this case, most of the people are facing this error. Because at the same time, the Apple server is much busy on every download, due to the Store will be under pressure. The best time to download macOS Catalina or upgrading it is in the morning time.
Solution 1: Before downloading macOS Catalina from Mac App Store be sure that you have enough storage because the macOS Catalina file is enough large than it needs more storage. While downloading macOS Catalina suddenly you face low storage warning then open the Apple menu, click About this Mac, go to Storage>Manage and specify the disk space.
Solution 2: It can be issue switching from WiFi network connection to Ethernet Cable directly while downloading. Again if you are having an error on downloading macOS Catalina 10.15, where the macOS Catalina stored, install macOS Catalina 10.15 on your drive. Delete them and restart your computer and try downloading again. However, if you are facing an error on download macOS Catalina go to App Store click on View my account see if there is anything on then click restart the download from there.
Fix macOS Catalina Install Problems
Before going to install macOS Catalina’s new operating system on your Mac computer. You should know the ways how to install it, there also a related article for installation you may read it. After that, make sure your selves that your Mac computer is compatible with macOS Catalina operating system, therefore, read below list computer which is compatible with macOS Catalina.
- MacBook 2015 or newer
- MacBook Air & Pro 2012 or newer
- Mac Mini 2012 or newer
- iMac 2012 or newer
- iMac Pro 2017 and iMac Pro 2013 or newer
There is no need to download the macOS Catalina DMG file, therefore, navigate to the application folder and search for the file of “macOS Catalina 10.15”. After that, double click on that to begin the installation process. Again if you faced any problem during macOS Catalina installation, restart your Mac computer. After that, press Control+R, these keys will boot your installation to recovery mode. Then choose “Disk Boot” for normal boot, and remove any useless files from your hard drive to free up space.
Fix macOS Catalina Sidecar Problems
You know that Sidecar is one of recent macOS Catalina feature that announced in WWDC 2019 by Apple Inc. Then if you have a new iPad addition and Mac. In case, I introduce and suggest you use your iPad or tablet as a secondary display screen in your Mac. Indeed Sidecar is multiple taskers for illustrators.
Solution: Sidecar only can support iPad 6 newer, iPad Mini 5, iPad Air 3. However, you need to download Apple’s latest iOS version in your tablet to take advantage of the sidecar. If your iPad won’t be updated to the latest version then your Mac computer will not utilize this feature. Therefore, macOS Catalina 10.15 is heavier then macOS Mojave therefore, you need to have modern Mac computers consists of fair hardware. It means to use sidecar feature you must have iMac 2015 27-inch or newer, MacBook Pro 2016 or newer, Mac Mini 2018, Mac Pro 2019, MacBook Air 2018, or early 2016 MacBook or newer.
You can find Sidecar in your Mac’s system preferences menu. You need to enable Bluetooth, WiFi, and Handoff. In case, if you are having an old version of Mac or iPad then you cannot use sidecar.
Fix macOS Catalina Apps Problems
Though Apple introduced macOS Catalina and iOS most recent Apps that are cleanly work on Mac. Including native Apple, the solution to use new Apps in macOS Catalina and there will no older Apps. Additionally, most of 32-bits Apps, like 1Password, QuickBooks, VMware Fusion, and other Apps are out of luck in macOS Catalina. Even Adobe application older version is in trouble on macOS Catalina 10.15. Therefore, several good Antiviruses have gone with this policy of Mac. However, there is a 235 application that no more in macOS Catalina. Because macOS Catalina has the replacement of old version Apps to new version 64-bits. In that case, you have to upgrade the Apps in macOS Catalina from 32-bits to 64-bits. However, if you need those applications back to use then downgrade to macOS Mojave directly.
Fix macOS Catalina WiFi Problem
Still, we are not facing any big problem in macOS Catalina WiFi hardware or software. Therefore, there could be a problem will be connecting WiFi to a personal hotspot, don’t worry it has the solution to fix in a second or minute.
Solution: Navigate to the WiFi menu bar and turn off WiFi, wait till 15-20 seconds, and turn it on again. However, while I am facing this issue then this is the solution that I am doing. Again if your problem could not be solved than restart your Mac computer and try once again to connect.
Fix macOS Catalina Battery Life Problem
After upgrading to macOS Catalina you might face that your Mac battery life is shorter than the previous version of the macOS operating system. Similarly, you don’t know why? because some of the application is running in the background that works. After a few days, your battery life should be boosted up after closing background applications and turn to normal life. Again if you faced this error it means that you should update your applications to the new version.
However, click on the Battery icon on the top menu bar after that, the list of applications will appear and show you which are running in the background. That opened application will spend too much battery life, close all of them and save the battery life. If the solution is Apps update or closes the background Apps that is fine if not? then check the other settings of your Mac computer or charger.
Fix macOS Catalina Bluetooth Problem
To fix macOS Catalina Bluetooth issue in new macOS operating system macOS Catalina. However, when the Bluetooth is not working you might search for a solution. It can be many reasons that the device which you are going to connect is not working properly, or the Bluetooth driver is not set.
Solution: Open finder then click “Go” in the top menu bar after that, go to folder type in ‘/Library/Preferences’. After that, a file will open by the name of “com.apple.bluetooth.plist”. Then delete the files, or move to another folder and restart your computer for the Bluetooth connection. After that, create a new Bluetooth user and try again if it works.
Fix macOS Catalina Finder Problem
After upgrading to macOS Catalina operating system most of the users are inclusive with finder. However, it is easy to fix this issue on macOS Catalina. Therefore, just you need to copy-paste some codes after opening the terminal.
After that, a notification highlight will pop up, then select all files and delete them. After that, if you are fixed restart your Mac computer and coming back check that.
Fix macOS Catalina Adobe Problem
If you are using Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, In-design, After Effect 32-Bits it means that Apple or macOS Catalina no longer support. And Adobe Apps 64-bits can be supported by macOS Catalina.
To fix this problem you have to update your 32-bits Apps to 64-bits. In case, the upgrading is free but need to be patient and have a nice internet connection. Because Adobe Apps is having a large file size, and you have to go to the creative cloud’s latest version.
Fix macOS Catalina Notifications Problem
However, besides lots of new update features in macOS Catalina, there is new notification control that developed in macOS Catalina. Therefore, if you are notifying by macOS Catalina on any App, it means you turn it off or that is disabled. That is simple to get turn it on or enable that. Navigate to “Setting” Click on “Notifications” click on “App” Toggle the “Notifications On”. The notification is customizable change it according to your wish, the Apps you don’t want to hear the notification simply turn that Off.
Fix macOS Catalina Mail Problem
After that, macOS Catalina released in public then users installed that in their computers. But Apple didn’t know about the big issue of the macOS Catalina Mail problem. The developer Michael Tsai reported a problem to macOS users with Mail problems in Missing message or incomplete messages while sending or receiving. After that, Michael Tsai warned the people do not update there Mac to macOS Catalina. If they are upgraded again he put a solution on how to fix the Mail problem. However, you can use the time machine to get you into the previous mail version. Again if the time machine could not work for you then downgrade from macOS Catalina to macOS Mojave.
Fix macOS Catalina Log in Problem
If you are facing a log in problem after installing macOS Catalina on your Mac computer. And you are stuck to log out from macOS Catalina, then as I have experienced this below solution might help you solve the problem. However, to fix this issue restart your computer and press hold command+S keys. After pressing your computer will boot to a command prompt therefore, you have to enter this below code in command.
Press enter key and paste this below code and again press enter.
After that, you entered these commands to restart your computer. Again create a new user for your Mac, don’t worry the above code only delete the user it will don’t your data.
Fix macOS Catalina Performance Problem
After that, you updated your Mac or MacBook to macOS Catalina. Therefore, you might face that macOS Catalina is running slow on your computer. It can be also much reason that your computer hardware is not compatible with macOS Catalina, or you did not perform a clean installation. In my case, running slow is a common and normal problem for the first time.
After a few days again if your computer is running down or slow. Then restart your computer, coming back navigate to Apps folder and check that the Apps are updated to the latest version. If any of Apps is not suitable with macOS Catalan then delete it. And restart your computer check the CPU performance or RAM and the Processor. However, again if the problem not fixed then upgrade your computer hardware like RAM, Processor, and SSD if not? Then downgrade from macOS Catalina to macOS Mojave.
Read Also: How to Fix macOS Mojave errors on VirtualBox & VMware
This is the common Issue the most of you facing after updating your Mac or MacBook to macOS Catalina. However, soon we will have an article about macOS Catalina problems on VMware, VirtualBox Virtualization machines. And macOS Catalina still having some bugs wait until the bugs should fix by developers, it can be risky for you. And you might face security issues or cyber-attacks to your data. I recommend you to prevent from updating to macOS Catalina. However, that’s all about how to fix macOS Catalina 10.15 common issues. I hope you have gotten something from this article, remember if the article was useful for you then don’t forget to share your ideas, suggestion and feedback below in the comment section.
Make your Mac invincible
After summer comes macOS. This long-standing tradition started by Apple is the most exciting moment of the year — seeing your Macs improve and gain new bells and whistles. In 2019, we're welcoming Catalina, the 10.15 version of macOS named after Catalina island in California. Apparently, it's hot.
The operating system boasts a whole lot of new macOS features like Sidecar, iOS apps porting, and major Photos update. To try the features right away, you can install Catalina from the Software Update tab.
However, be prepared for some troubleshooting. The acquaintance with the new macOS doesn't always go smooth — and with macOS 10.15 deeming support for lots of software, many things will not go smooth. We've collected the key macOS Catalina issues you may encounter, along with the ways to fix them.
macOS 10.15 Catalina problems and their fixes
Giving up Catalina is a decision you can choose to make. But before rolling back, ensure you use every bit of advice as to how you can fix the common problems. Sometimes, a quick fix can solve your concerns.
Get macOS problem fixes on Setapp
The Queen of Jhansi) is an Indian historical drama television series based on the life of revolutionary freedom fighter Lakshmi Bai, the Rani of Jhansi. The show went on air on Colors TV on 11 February 2019. It starred Anushka Sen as the titular freedom fighter. Due to low TRPs, the show ended on 12 July 2019 completing 110 episodes. Rani (Urdu: رانی) is a Pakistani Political drama serial directed and produced by Angeline Malik. It written by Naseem Mukri, from the Dhadkan fame. It is about a journey of a woman from innocence to a political position mostly meant for men in a male-dominated Pakistan. It is about greed, power, politics, revenge and women empowerment. Raja Rani 2 VijayTV Serial Today Episode VijayTV Watch Online Source 2. Raja Rani Season 2 features Alya Manasa, Sidhu Sid, Sreenidhi Sudharshan, Praveena Lalithabhai and many others in the lead roles. Tdirected by popular TV director Praveen Bennett. Raja rani serial today episode. Raja Rani 2 2 Seasons728 EpisodesFamilyPGStar Vijay Saravana is a confectioner by profession, whose mother wants a housewife for him. But what if he marries an ambitious woman? Rani Rashmoni is a Bengali TV serial, where the protagonist Rani is shown lending her support to the poor through thick and thin.
Beta or not, you can safely install any version of the new macOS. Setapp and its 150+ apps will solve every Mac concern you have.
Problems with macOS Catalina you can solve:
macOS 10.15 Catalina won't install
This is the classic problem that arises with every macOS release: The installation won't start or you face the 'Catalina installation stuck' problem — when it freezes and you see no progress on the install. No matter how many times you start over, you keep getting an error trying to install Catalina.'
How to fix:
- Apple recommends to reset SMC. Shut down your Mac, and hold Shift + Ctrl + Option + Power button for about 10 seconds, with your cable plugged in. Click on the power button and wait for your Mac to start up.
- Try resetting NVRAM or PRAM. Shut down your Mac, and hold Option + Command + P + R for about 20 seconds. Wait for your computer to restart.
- Reinstall from macOS recovery. Hold Option + Command + R to reinstall. Once you see the startup screen, start the installation again.
- Some users reported they were prompted to enter administrator password several times to complete the installation. So it might be something for you to try as well.
- In most cases, macOS Catalina cannot be installed on Macintosh HD, because it doesn't have enough disk space. If you install Catalina on top of your current operating system, the computer will keep all the files and still need free space for Catalina. So the easiest fix would be to clean up your system with CleanMyMac X before upgrading. All the system junk, app leftovers, and unneeded files will go away in a minute.
- Backup your disk and run a clean install. This will wipe away your current system files, leaving space for macOS Catalina — so yes, this option is for the brave. If you use a solid backup solution, you'll keep your data safe, though. Get Backup Pro is a nice way to do it — unlike Apple's Time Machine, the app allows running bootable backups.
Say you've cleared up and backed up your disk. But your Mac still gets stuck at the installation and shows 'not enough space' error, so you can't get out of the cycle. In this case, there's another fix you can try:
- Reinstall Mojave. No worries, this won't delete your disk. Reboot your Mac and hold Command + R to enter the Recovery Mode. Click Reinstall macOS.
- Restore from your backup. If you have a Time Machine backup, enter the Recovery Mode again and select 'Restore from Time Machine Backup.' Select the backup from the list and restore your files. Check out how to use apple time machine.
Some users also report they tried to reboot into Safe Mode and take the installation from there; the others used a newly created admin user — but most attempts have been unsuccessful.
We must agree that macOS 10.15 is one of the slowest systems in terms of installation. But if you use the hacks described above and have a little patience, you'll be able to get to the 'Catalina installed' point.
Find more information about how to update mac os the right way.
If you can't login after upgrading to Catalina
There's a known problem of failing to login after the installation. Unfortunately, the only way to fix it — at least for now — would be to roll back to Mojave:
- Clean up your Mac with CleanMyMac X and backup your data.
- Save passwords to ensure you don't lose license keys and settings.
- Create a bootable installer of Mojave (after Catalina goes public, you can download Mojave here).
- Delete macOS Catalina: Apple menu > Restart > Command + R > Disk Utility > your startup disk > Erase.
One of the things Mac users are particularly excited about is the new Sidecar feature. It comes as a handy solution for those wanting to expand their workspaces. You can either mirror your Mac's screen to iPad or use your iPad's screen as an extension of a Mac.
If the only reason you're here is because you want Sidecar, we have to warn you it might not work with your new macOS. Reddit is full of user reports about the feature unavailable on macOS Catalina. Most likely, this is the issue of compatibility.
How to fix:
Here are the ways to fix Sidecar problems:
- Get the new iPadOS 13. Unfortunately, macOS Catalina doesn't work with iPadOS 12. So basically, you have to use the recent operating systems if you want to try Sidecar.
- Make sure your Mac is one of the compatible devices. Sidecar works on:
- 2019 Mac Pro
- Late 2018 Mac mini +
- Late 2018 MacBook Air +
- 2017 iMac Pro
- Mid 2016 MacBook Pro +
- Early 2016 MacBook +
- Late 2015 iMac +
- Try connecting your iPad with a cable. With Sidecar, you should be able to connect your iPad wirelessly. If this doesn't work, the cable might solve the issue.
Battery drain on macOS Catalina
Many of the previous macOS releases were known for battery life concerns — greedy apps, Safari and Chrome draining battery, or power-saving not working. There has been no major battery drain issues reported by the Catalina users so far.
How to fix:
Just to make sure you don't encounter the problem as well, here are a few precautions:
- Check for apps that use significant energy. For a quick insight, check Apple's in-built Activity Monitor. It shows the 'Energy impact' for every application — calculated based on CPU, network usage, and other factors.
- Have a solution for battery health monitoring. iStat Menus is a perfect fit if you need detailed analytics on disk activity, CPU usage, battery life, memory load, and much more. The app shows all the data right in your menu bar. Plus, you can customize what's being monitored flexibly.
- Use Screen Time to limit the use of apps. This is the brand-new app on macOS Catalina, which helps you live a healthier Mac user life. Set time limits for the use of specific apps or app categories and schedule downtime. The main goal is to track how much time you spend on the computer, but you can also use it to optimize battery life on Mac.
Apps not working on macOS Catalina
In the attempt to speed up your Mac's performance, Apple is killing 32-bit app architecture with the release of Catalina. This means you have to switch to 64-bit, for good. You might see the messages like this when trying to launch an app:
The chances are it's one of the oldies.
How to fix:
CleanMyMac X can pretty much solve every app problem on macOS Catalina.
Uninstall all 32-bit apps in a click
Mac Your Computer Restarted Because Of A Problem Catalina Update
No more digging through the settings. Download CleanMyMac X and batch uninstall every outdated app on Mac.
- Use Updater to search available app updates. Maybe the app is not working, because it needs upgrading. If you've missed the update notification, you won't know about this. To solve the issue, CleanMyMac X will show you the full list of apps with available updates from developers. The best thing is you can run a batch update right in the app.
- Uninstaller gives you an easy way to reset or get rid of 32-bit apps. The Apple way of checking for 32-bit applications is quite easy: access About This Mac > System report > Applications. However, once you find apps with the outdated architecture, you'll have to go and uninstall each of them separately. The Uninstaller feature in CleanMyMac X simplifies things for you — filter by 32-bit and get rid of each of them.
- If there's no particular reason an app misbehaves, try resetting it. Guess what, CleanMyMac X has it covered too. In Uninstaller, click on the arrow button next to the app and choose Reset. As easy as that.
While app notarization takes time, you can expect many apps being unavailable after the release of Catalina. This doesn't mean they are gone for good, though. Contact developers or follow official developer announcements to find out about compatibility plans.
OneDrive client problems on Catalina
Due to Catalina's new security settings, Microsoft's OneDrive may have a problem accessing your drive — even if you allow a full access. This is because macOS 10.15 comes with two disk volumes by default.
How to fix:
There are no surefire fixes just yet, but you can try to troubleshoot OneDrive by setting it up from the very beginning. This worked for some users, according to the Reddit discussion:
- Unlink your account and quit OneDrive.
- Remove OneDrive client from your Mac and delete the folder.
- Set up OneDrive again and make sure you allow full disk access in Security & Privacy.
iCloud problems on macOS Catalina
The most common issue with iCloud is that users are unable to download their folders. You can try downloading iCloud files separately — but that's going to be a pain if you have an extensive library.
How to fix:
The best fix would be using Forklift app for your file management. The app is Catalina-ready and allows connecting local drives, Dropbox, iCloud, and tons of other storage sites.
If you're setting up iCloud, there might be another issue standing in your way: Not being able to agree to the Terms and Conditions. The window will just keep popping up on your screen. An easy way to fix this would be to access System Preferences > Internet Accounts and then click on the iCloud icon. You'll see a static Terms and Conditions window — click Accept and you're good to go.
Your Computer Restarted Because Of A Problem Mac Catalina Vmware
Replacing iTunes on Catalina
The new macOS 10.15 brought along the end of iTunes and the birth of the new Music app. Basically, it looks the same — but with music-only content. There's a huge difference for people who rely on syncing Apple Music with third-party apps. The new app doesn't support XML file support, which makes playlist syncing impossible across many apps. So if you use Apple Music for DJing, you'll definitely have a problem.
How to fix:
The only fix to suggest here would be to stay away from Catalina if you need your XML apps to work with iTunes.
Music library issues
New Music app keeps freezing
There have been reports about the new music app freezing on Mac. Well, it's the first splitting of iTunes, so it's no wonder it doesn't go smooth. In most cases, your Mac will keep showing the 'library updating' status.
How to fix:
- Create a backup of your entire music library.
- Move your music out of the music folder.
- Go to ~/Library and remove every file related to 'Music' and 'iTunes.'
- Delete music caches in ~/Library/Caches.
- Restart your Mac and try to access the library again. It should be working now.
Memory usage problems with Apple Music app
Another problem you may come across is the Music app eating too much of your space. One user wrote the app used over 30GB of memory on his Mac.
How to fix:
Apparently, the problem is related to the memory management of Album Art. It is getting better, though. According to user reports, memory usage goes back to normal after restarting the app.
Mail search is broken
According to forum posts, your mailbox might get pretty messy after the upgrade — with no search functionality whatsoever. So if you try searching by keywords or recipient/sender name, the app will keep showing the numerical number of results. The reason could be the new Spotlight integration.
How to fix:
- Open System Preferences > Internet accounts and remove your mail account.
- Restart your computer and once again add your mail account to the app.
- Try searching through your emails — it should be working now.
There have also been some early reports about emails missing from the Mail app — so you might want to wait for it to get fixed before upgrading, especially if you rely on Apple Mail.
Slowing down and overheating macOS Catalina problems
So here's the thing: macOS Catalina should be faster than Mojave. 32-bit architecture was one of the things slowing an operating system down. It's gone, and so are the issues with slow apps. Unfortunately, you can expect your Mac go slow and overheat anyway.
How to fix:
- Too many login items often cause your Mac to go slow. To eliminate the problem, disable apps from launching at startup. Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items. Check the apps you don't want to run at startup and click on the minus button.
- Reset SMC. This is a universal fix that helps solve the issues with overheating, battery life, slow Mac, and more. The process is pretty simple and doesn't impose any risks of losing your data. To reset, shut down your Mac, but leave a charger plugged in. Hold Shift + Ctrl + Option + Power button for about 10 seconds. Click on the power button and wait for your Mac to start up.
Dock disappearing on macOS Catalina
On the Apple forum, people mentioned Dock disappearing from their screen after upgrading to Catalina. The nature of this mistake is unknown — some users connect it to PRAM resetting, the others say they had the issue when trying to work across two screens.
How to fix:
Try Option + Command + D. If it doesn't work for you, do the following:
- Go to Settings > Dock
- Change the Dock's size so that it starts flickering
- Change the hide/show settings
- Customize the Dock's position on screen (you can do it randomly).
- Close the window and check whether it's working now.
Internet not working after upgrading to Catalina
If you're putting macOS 10.15 over your current system, you're likely to encounter Internet connection problems.
How to fix:
The radical way would be to clean install macOS Catalina — it's healthier for your Mac and will probably fix the issue. If you're not ready to take a risk, try rebooting your Mac.
There has been a user report saying that Sophos caused the problem of network connection. So uninstalling it may be a fix as well.
Bluetooth not available on macOS Catalina
Well, that's a problem. Definitely a huge one if you use AirPods. Deleting your Bluetooth.plist files might be the way to solve this.
How to fix:
- Open Finder > Go > Go to Folder
- Type Library/Preferences
- Find a file with the name 'com.Apple.Bluetooth.plist' and delete it.
Safari extensions not working
While Apple is trying to transition to iOS-compatible extensions, it gradually deems support for many web extensions formats. On Catalina, you'll face the problem with .safariextz files not working.
How to fix:
Just like with 32-bit apps, there's no way to fix the missing extensions. If you can't find a good alternative, you can switch to Chrome or another browser.
Storage filling up too fast
If you notice unusual storage filling up progress, this might mean your Mac captured too many redundant files during the Catalina installation. In most cases, these are APFS files and Time Machine backups.
How to fix:
If you can use a good Time Machine alternative like Get Backup Pro throughout the upgrade, do it. Otherwise, you can remove Time Machine leftovers after installing Catalina with CleanMyMac X. In the Maintenance tab, select 'Time Machine snapshots thinning,' and run a cleanup.
To remove snapshots manually, use the following Terminal commands:
- To view the list of snapshots:
tmutil listlocalsnapshots / tmutil listlocalsnapshots /System/Volumes/Data
- To delete snapshots:
Here's a quick review of all mentioned fixes, which you can take with you:
Is macOS Catalina stable?
The short answer is yes — if you use it right. So before you decide to downgrade back to Mojave, make sure you've done the following things right:
- Backup your Mac with Get Backup Pro or any other reliable tool before running an installation.
- If you still need some of the Mojave functionality that won't be available in Catalina, install the new macOS on partition.
- Make your Mac as clean as possible before upgrading.
- Get iPadOS 13 if you want to use the Sidecar feature.
- Get rid of 32-bit applications, even if this means killing your darlings.
- Backup your Music and then empty the folder along with music-related Library caches. The new Apple Music app is still pretty much unpredictable, so you need to ensure you don't lose your playlist.
- CleanMyMac X is a solution for many Catalina issues, so you need it — badly. To cut the cost, you can get it through Setapp and receive extra tools like Get Backup Pro and Endurance.
If you want to dive more into macOS Catalina bugs fixed, check out the Reddit discussion.